18 July 2011

dinner & faux vintage serving plate





another spencer salmon special, with garlic rice and fresh veggies, topped perfectly with a delicious lemon. he's killin it at preparing the fish we've been gifted. all this fish has been for free, there is nothing better than a tasty free meal! so there are a plethora of conignment shops around sitka. there are no malls here or target, walmart, tjmaxx, nada-zip goose egg. that means sitkans will generally online shop then consign and buy more. at these consignment shops you can find an assortment of goods and just maybe you might come across a real gem. & this is were the faux vintage serving plate comes into the picture. there is a a consignment shop just up the street from where spencer and i live downtown, the white elephant aka the white e. one day when walking home from the local grocery store i happened to pass the white e and peer into it's open window where this serving plate was so delicately placed inside the shop. my heart skipped a beat while a watermelon smile grew on my face, i knew i just had to have it. much to my dismay the white e didn't open for two more days! two more days of day dreaming about that elephant and bird vintage serving plate, where did it come from, how old could it be, who donated that beautiful piece of work? the one that got away and i was reeping all the benefits! how adorable would it be in my house with my new vintage bird and tree china that i purchased just before moving to AK? i was in love. repeat was in love. on thursday the blessed day came that the white e opened. all day i was checking my clock to be the first over there to snag the masterpiece! finally the time came at 11:55 spencer and i ran to the store and there was a really long line, my heart sunk but i tried to keep my spirits high, as the others filtered in before me i kept my eyes fixed on that serving plate with the 5.00 sticker on it. i pushed my way to the window and snatched it up before anyone else could even muster up bob's your uncle! i victoriously marched to the counter put my prize down and with a smile ready to hand the woman a five dollar bill. she looked down at my beloved serving plate and gasped "who would price this at 5.00? i know i thought in my head with a smirk about to revel in my glorious find when she adds "two dollars at the most" shocked, confused and happy i handed her two one dollar bills, grabbed my find and slinked out the door assuming she would catch her mistake and make me pay more for this adorable vintage diamond in the ruff. hugging the plate i made a run for it and caught up with spencer who making his way home. right there on the corner of katilan and lincoln street i flipped over the serving plate in hopes to find something like 'made with peace and love in 1969' or 'barefoot in the kiln' signed with a groovy signature, nope, ikea. ikea. i should have paid .25.


xo. s&o

2 comments:

slayer said...

You made that plate too good to be true, who cares if it is Ikea... its vintage Ikea! I bet I couldn't go get that same plate today. Also, I have been begging Nick to ship me off Alaskaaaaa! He never responds. He hates me.

I miss you guys, and I wanna taste some of spencer's fish fixins'

cody & allison said...

E we are in the same boat maybe we just should drive one of our mazdas ha ha I love that fish fryin fool! Where does Spencer come from he does it all. I love te plate story so something I would do. Speaking of plates I found a cool one for my wall with a fish on it.